I love the 20 minute VC podcast. It’s the perfect amount of time and Harry Stebbings does a great job attracting interesting guests and asking them the right questions. I was honored when asked to be on the show, here’s that episode.
Harry asks me questions like:
- How did I make the transition from Founder to VC with Techstars and Fund I?
- Fund I is one of the most successful funds in history; what was the structure with Fund I? Why did you choose a $5m fund size? How did you decide initial to follow on ratio?
- Why were you so valuation sensitive with Fund I? Why were you so rigid on a consistent check size on Fund I?
- Why did you decide to expand from being a solo GP fund? What are the challenges and complexities of fund scaling and how did you approach this?
- What do you think about uncapped notes?
- Why do you like big boring companies?
- How did you meet Ryan Graves @ Uber and how did the Uber investment come about? (even more about that here)
- Where does David still see inefficiencies in the current venture model?
I hope you enjoy it. I had fun doing the interview.